Moments of escape can be moments of clarity!

"Oh, had I but followed the Arts"-William Shakespeare

Monday, May 30, 2011

Reels & DiCaprio & A warbling Streep...

I took a little time off to work on some projects and enjoy the beginning of the greatness we call summer.
First things first, the latest "Criminal Minds" news. We are still awaiting the signing of a new contract for Thomas Gibson which we all hope happens soon. Paget Brewster's (Emily Prentiss) new series was not picked up for the fall , so she will be back on CM.  That means (drum roll please) Rachel Nichols (Seaver) has been given her walking papers. I wish her the best. Now hopefully we can get back to CM the original.

This week I have a double review. The first is "Inception" I don't know why I hadn't watched it before.  So many people had told me it was hard to understand. I found that to be false. It was fast-paced, easy to follow, if you paid attention and thoroughly entertaining.  Leonardo DiCaprio plays "Cobb" the leader of a band of thieves, who through the invention of "Inception", a way of accessing peoples dreams, takes thievery to a whole new level. Cobb concocts THE big heist, to access the dreams of a multi-million dollar heir, to learn the contents of his fathers safe. Unbeknownst to the rest of the team Cobb has his own agenda, which could endanger  them all, or leave them in limbo for years. The only one who knows his secret is "Ariadne" played by Ellen Page, who Cobb picks to be the architect for his dreams. It's up to her to save Cobb from himself and also save the team from an uncertain future. I loved this movie, it was exciting and the special effects were out of this world. All the actors were invested, Leonardo Dicaprio added the heart. I add "Inception " to the list of films I'd see more than once, because the visuals show you something new every time you see it.
My second review is on the total opposite end of the spectrum. I made the mistake of watching "Mama Mia". Ok I really, really tried to like it, but I failed miserably. It was just Bad on so many levels. I like Colin Firth and Stellan Skaarsgard, thank god they sang very little. They just weren't given much to work with. The plot was weak. The actors were not committed to the music. The flow from speaking to singing  was not there, which made the whole thing a big choppy mess. Meryl Streep's singing went back and forth between whiny and strident. It was just annoying. Pierce Bronson really tried..by singing growly and loud, but like I said they just weren't given much to work with. Christine Baranski over acted and sang larger than life, like she was on a Broadway stage which added to the disjointed feel of the movie. I love ABBA music, just not in this movie. If you like ABBA music, skip this movie and rent "Muriels Wedding" instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment