Moments of escape can be moments of clarity!

"Oh, had I but followed the Arts"-William Shakespeare

Monday, June 13, 2011

Super Summer

My fingers trembled at the thought. A movie with the names J.J. Abrams (Star Trek, Cloverfield,  Armageddon) and Steven Spielberg (E.T, Schindler's List, True Grit). So I was there , first show, first day, popcorn in hand. The advertisements for "Super 8" were vague, you don't really know what it's about, but you want to know. I'm not a fan of Spoilers because I like to experience the film first hand. Which makes it a little difficult to review this movie. It's about a group of friends in 1979 who decide to enter a  movie making  contest. While filming the movie they end up witnessing a train crash and filming it by accident.. That moment,changes their town and their lives forever. The 1979 feel of the film was so spot on, I found myself waxing nostalgic. I was mesmerized from the very beginning. You just couldn't  wait to find out what was going on. The young actors who played the group of friends (Joel Courtney, Riley Griffiths ,Ryan Lee, Elle Fanning and all the others) were enchanting. There was humour, excitement and tender moments. It was like a coming of age movie, an amalgamation of  "Stand by Me", "Goonies","Alien" and "E.T" all in one. It worked, I was drawn into the story.  If I had one complaint it would be that the ending was a little abrupt and , let's see how can I say this without spoiling the magic of discovery.  I'll just say , why wasn't what was sought rescued and used and why wasn't their a final encounter? There... WHEW. See it, you'll get it. It was worth the popcorn. It was Super!

No comments:

Post a Comment