Moments of escape can be moments of clarity!

"Oh, had I but followed the Arts"-William Shakespeare

Monday, October 10, 2011

Bits & Bobs

It's time to check into what's going on now that summer has peaked and passed. I had a most lovely summer, visits with family and friends, sun and fun. Usually  the summer acting work tends to be a bit like the Sahara, dry. So what do actors do when work is scarce? They seek tools to add to the old toolbox. So I'm in class soaking up knowledge so I'm ready for that next role. I'm also managing to fit in some song writing.
I'm reading whenever possible. I just finished John Connolly's 'The Burning Soul" He has gone back to the well of my favorite character, detective Charlie Parker and quenched my thirst once again. This time around, Mr. Connolly's story telling begs the question..How far do the ripples of horrible mistakes made in youth reverberate? Also, is change just an illusion. John has a way of weaving a great detective mystery and then out of the blue, dropping the scary on you and you find yourself freaked out and delighted at the same time. His writing has the same melodious lilt as his Irish accent. He doesn't paint pictures, he paints photographs with his words.["The channels through the Scarborough salt marshes appeared as swaths of a deeper blackness against the tall grass as I drove home, like lengths of dark ribbon dropped from the sky"] ("The Burning Soul" pg. 207) Perfection!  I also look forward to Charlie Parker's friends from New York, Louis & Angel .One more layer of storytelling richness. I didn't want "The Burning Soul" to end, now all I have left is the sweet memory of a great read and ......the wait.
Now onto what's playing in my ear. It always varies but lately I've been hitting the repeat button on Nina Simone.  I had never listened to her before so when my brother introduced her to me, my ears certainly perked up.   http://youtu.be/-TarrSrx4v0 .  Her singing made me want to sway and cry a little.
I haven't forgotten that Wednesday thing, how could I? There are only so many hours in a day. Tomorrow, that Wednesday thing , shortly after that? My Reel of the week. Slumber calls.

No comments:

Post a Comment