Moments of escape can be moments of clarity!

"Oh, had I but followed the Arts"-William Shakespeare

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Fun with ASL & one John Connolly




Eiayay

Hi, I’m eiayay, I’m here with Irish Author John Connolly. He’s the Author of some of my favorite books. The Charlie Parker books and the “Book of Lost Things” I love that, it’s a great book and his newest book “The Infernals”  the sequel to 2009’s “The Gates”
John, could you tell us a little about “The Infernals”?


John
Most writers are magpies by nature, we look for shiny things to steal and I had an idea about 10 years ago for a book in which a young boy discovers that his neighbors are trying to open the gates of hell.  It was essentially Satanism for children, and I couldn’t quite figure out how to do it.  Then I begin reading about the large Hadron  Collider, which is a big particle accelerator in Switzerland and basically they were trying to uncover the secrets of the Universe and their were dire threats around this machine. Which was said could create a black hole that would destroy the planet. And I thought… there’s my story. Although what was really funny was when they did turn it on, not only did it not destroy the planet, it didn’t work at all. But I realized that I could combine Science and Fantasy in one story.

Eiayay

How has your upbringing affected your writing, especially in this book?

John

You know, I had a perfectly lovely childhood. I really resent my parents for not being more dysfunctional.  I feel they gave me very little to work with. But I have a kind of fondness for childhood, for my childhood. That I suppose I remember myself as a 10, 11 year old boy who read a lot, who had a dog, that was maybe a bit too imaginative for his own good. So, there was a lot of me in David, in “The Book of Lost Things”.

Eiayay

Moving on, I want to talk a little about music. I’m a musician and I listen to your radio show ABC to XTC. How did that start for you?

John

Well, my….I would find it very difficult to choose between books and music. They’re both just huge parts of my life, and I have a particular fondness for that period, the late 70’s and early 80’s. Musically, because it was the period that I became a teenager, and I think when it comes to music a lot of our affection is tied up with the music we listened to as a teenager. And I had done a radio show for children , a one-off radio show for Halloween in which I played odd songs about people drowning and weird songs about ghosts, none of which were what the radio station quite expected. And once they had de-traumatized the children, they asked me if there was anything particular I’d like to do if given the opportunity? I said I’d like to do a show about late 70’s, early 80’s music and the producer said….Please don’t because it’s all terrible. And I said, I will convince you otherwise and I kinda did. Although he still resents me for making him listen to so much of it.

Eiayay

This is kind of a funny question. When you listen to music, do you sing, loud and clear or only on the inside?

John

Only on the inside, I was not gifted with a singing voice and I dance like an ironing board.

Eiayay

A What?

John

The thing you iron your shirts on.

Eiayay

Oh, an ironing board. The last question, “Guns & Roses” or “The Cars”, which is worthy  of  the  Rock  &  Roll  Hall  of Fame?

John

Oh, I’ll take “The Cars” over “Guns & Roses” any day.  “Guns & Roses” had one good Album.

Eiayay

I  agree, me too!!  I want to thank John for taking time out of his busy schedule to speak with me. If you want to learn more about John and his books, go to his website,  johnconnollybooks.com  Thank you



No comments:

Post a Comment