Moments of escape can be moments of clarity!

"Oh, had I but followed the Arts"-William Shakespeare

Saturday, December 17, 2011

Bits & Bobs

Time to check in on all pursuits creative. The last two months have been productive. I finished my scene work class. It was great fun. What I learned I've been able to apply to all aspects of my life. In January it's back to conquering ASL (American Sign Language). So looking forward to that.
I nabbed the hand model job I auditioned for a few weeks ago. Go figure. It was an interesting assignment, nothing strenuous ,but a very long day. Becoming a hand model had never crossed my mind. I don't know if I could make a living at it, I just found very little joy in thinking about my hangnails so much!
The interview with Author John Connolly went well and was an enjoyable experience. I found combining ASL with the interview a satisfying challenge. I don't know what's next on that front.
On to what's playing in my ear. Steady rotation includes: "Hair" Soundtrack, Lucie Idleout, her emotions are raw and pure. In lighter moments I'm listening to Travis Tritt's "Down the road I go" It's a great Cd, straight through no skipsies.

Since I last blogged I've finished 3 books. The first was "Wench" by Dolan Perkins-Valdez. It's a story that takes place before the Civil War. Through the eyes and hearts of four black enslaved mistresses. Valdez speaks eloquently to us about Tawawa House, a resort in Ohio, where slave masters vacation, away from their Southern plantations and Southern wives, bringing with them their Black slave mistresses.
Valdez writes agonizingly of the psychological bond the women have with the men who enslave them and dehumanize them, but at the same time are their lovers and the fathers of their children. When these women interact and mingle for the first time with free Blacks, running away becomes for the first time an option. The complexity of the slave/lover relationship makes that decision a choice between two different kinds of death.
The book was poignant and at time a tortuous read, but well worth it. Actually written by a Black woman, read this book instead of that other one. I will review the other two books later. Reel of the week is next.

No comments:

Post a Comment