Moments of escape can be moments of clarity!

"Oh, had I but followed the Arts"-William Shakespeare

Sunday, January 8, 2012

Gettin' my gadgety on!

My Reel of the Week is "Mission Impossible 4: Ghost protocol" In order for me to lay out my VERY hard earned cash to go see a movie, it has to have real promise. I was enticed not so much by Tom Cruise (really , not at all) but by Simon Pegg and Paula Patton.
The movie opens with Ethan Hunt (Cruise) languishing in a Russian prison. Below the prison, his team is gadgeting about trying to break him out.
Dunn (Pegg) is the computer geek, Carter (Patton) is the explosives ninja. They come to the rescue and with Mission Impossible tricks, gadgets and lights & mirrors, Ethan is freed. 
The team is off and running, their mission (Should they choose to accept it.) is to break into the Kremlin and steal the launch codes for Russia's nuclear bombs. Unbeknownst to Ethan & his team, a nuclear zealot is also after the codes. The action filled race is on.
M4 has all the best of it's predecessors. It was full of fast cars, gadgets (love that word,can you tell?), scary heights, disguises and camera tricks. It was a carnival ride worth wating in line for.
Tom Cruise was Tom Cruise, nothing new there. but I appreciated and enjoyed the fact that he continues to do his own stunts. Impressive, but he never quite lets you forget he's Tom Cruise.  Jeremy Renner (Brandt) was a welcome addition to the cast and added depth to the storyline. Simon Pegg (Dunn) took me from chortling to guffawing out loud. Paula Patton (Carter) held her own amongst all the testosterone. She fought like a true ninja and I loved it. It was also refreshing to see a strong Black women still alive at the end of the movie. I haven't seen that since Sanaa Lathan took on Predator in "Predator vs Alien"
M4 was great fun. I think I'd pay to see M5. with a repeat of this cast. Come on you know it's coming!

No comments:

Post a Comment