Moments of escape can be moments of clarity!

"Oh, had I but followed the Arts"-William Shakespeare

Monday, October 1, 2012

"It's my party and I'll cry if I want to...."

After my fantastic Dublin adventure, it's back to business as usual. It's Reel of the Week time. My Reel for this week is 1993's "Untamed Heart". It's taken from my list of all time favorite movies. "Untamed Heart" is a movie I reach for at least once a year, sometimes twice. It's a yummy, quirky love story. My go-to film if I need a good cry.

Marisa Tomei is Caroline, a waitress working the night shift. She's a hopeless romantic, looking for love and forever hopeful. She works at Jim's Diner with Cindy (Rosie Perez). They are sisterly BFF's  at Jim's, where regulars and employees commiserate and hold each other up like family.
Adam (Christian Slater), the dishwasher is a mystery. He faithfully does his job day in and day out speaking not a word. Rumors fly left and right about who he really is and where he comes from, but he is embraced by this family, because dysfunction is just part of being in a family.
When Caroline & Adam are thrown together during a life-altering moment in Caroline's life. She finds a deep well in which to pour all her hopes & dreams of happy endings. Adam finds his voice. As they navigate what is new territory. Adam's painful past and recent events from Caroline's life collide, their future happiness is threatened.
I don't know why "Untamed Heart" moves me. I will admit there are cheesy moments, but everyone involved plays their part so convincingly I'm pulled in. I just feel so good when I'm watching it, even through my "My god are you crying AGAIN" tears. 
Christian Slater was perfectly pitiful, sexy and puppyish as Adam. Marisa Tomei was totally in her element.  Even though at times her laugh bordered on annoying.
All in all "Untamed Heart" moves me, woos me every time I watch it. It remains my go to tear-jerker. Sometimes a girl's just gotta cry!

No comments:

Post a Comment