Moments of escape can be moments of clarity!

"Oh, had I but followed the Arts"-William Shakespeare

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Bits & Bobs

Spring is in the air, finally. I feel positively buoyant! Winter has donned it's coat & departed (at least I hope so).
Along with Spring comes the annual Maine Playwright's Festival. Our fund raising is in full swing:
I'm involved in one play. I have to decided to resist the urge to bite off more than I can chew. Rehearsals are going well, with performances beginning at the end of April.
I have also finished a Film project for the wonderful women of Gitgo Productions  It was a blast. Further solidifying my love of film.

ASL is going well. I'm drilling as often as I can on my finger-spelling skills.
working online to improve my reading. Hopefully I can finally finish my 400 class.


Now onto what I have been reading & listening to.  
I just finished Alan Brennert's "MOLOKA'I". It is based on the true story of the leprosy outbreak in Hawaii in the late 1800's. It is told through the life of seven year old Rachel Kalama. She contracts Leprosy and is sent to Kalaupapa, the quarantined settlement on the island of Moloka'i. She is separated from her family and home.
It's the story of a dark history in Hawaii's past. The story of indigenous people, worldwide. The story of usurpers forcing their will, through disease, dismissal of indigenous culture & religious indoctrination .
All told through the eyes & soul of little Rachel Kalama, but it is also a story filled with triumph, love & forgiveness.
MOLOKA'I was vibrant & insightful. You were transported to that time & place. There were emotional moments that had me reaching for the tissues. Having been to Hawaii, Alan's writing brought the beauty of the island back to my consciousness.  Rachel's story was told eloquently. MOLOKA'I Schooled me on a history I knew nothing about, but it also touched my heart.

Now what's been playing on my MP3.  Because the end of winter has me giddy. It's been all about music that keeps that smile on my face like:

Justin Timberlake's  "Suit & Tie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsUsVbTj2AY&feature=youtu.be 



 Elton John of course, alway's a cure for Spring Fever!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhJHL34DiBY&feature=youtu.be
Music & Spring a cure-all!

No comments:

Post a Comment