Moments of escape can be moments of clarity!

"Oh, had I but followed the Arts"-William Shakespeare

Saturday, April 11, 2015

Bits & Bobs..Syl & Paul, The Marque..oh & Pips & Bass...

My first Bits & Bobs Of Spring...well, kinda Spring. There is a hint of it in the air, at least the immense snow mounds have begun to recede.
Winter hibernation has it's perks. I am able to tackle the ever teetering pile of reading material that is slowly encroaching from every corner of my bedroom. 



I plucked from the stack of books,EMPIRE by John Connolly & Jennifer Ridyard.  It's Book 2 of the Chronicles of the Invaders Series.  
I was more than happy to settle in & revisit Paul, Syl and the Illyri.
In Book 2, Paul & Syl have been separated. Paul is now a reluctant soldier with the Brigades. Syl has been sent to the Marque to begin her education with the Sisterhood, but both Paul & Syl are determined in their own way to wrest their fate away from their "captors" and continue the fight to save Earth from the Illyri and an even more dangerous enemy, known only as "The Others"
Syl continues to resist the pull of the Sisterhood & to listen to her instincts, which push her to seek answers to the origin of "The Others" and make sense of what she witnessed during the siege at Dundearg.
Paul's deep loyalties lie with the Resistance, which is as much a part of him as breathing, but he still can't shake thoughts of Syl that tug gently at his heart.
Syl & Paul must each fight their own battle while trying to put the pieces of the puzzle together if they have any hope of stopping those who  are planning the decimation of Earth.


EMPIRE is solid Science Fiction, that refuses to slip lazily into
cliché , and formulaic drivel. The technical, gadgety science sated my geeky brain and the characters & human emotion that drive the narrative, kept my heart in the story.John & Jennifer's writing styles continue to blend well, avoiding the jarring effect that happens sometimes when two writers are telling the same story. I approach Books & music with the same philosophy. I don't separate them into genres.EMPIRE is sold as a YA novel, but for me their are just two categories of books & music: Good or Bad. EMPIRE is good...really good. I look forward to continuing the journey. Bravo!





Now,a bit of a bit about what's happening on the creative front. My Documentary with BlueStocking Films is in the can. I can't wait to see the final product!
My other half and I are slowly moving toward recording some work.
Since I became a Drummer almost four years ago I find myself listening to music with a whole different ear, I'm honed in on the Bass much more, which is reflected in what I'm listening to. Check out the Bass...'cos that's what it's all about, right?

Gladys Knight & the Pips

Earth, wind & Fire




No comments:

Post a Comment