Moments of escape can be moments of clarity!

"Oh, had I but followed the Arts"-William Shakespeare

Sunday, June 7, 2015

Avengers: Age of...WTF happened...

I'm a huge Marvel geek so on the heels of 2014's CAPTAIN AMERICA: WINTER SOLDIER, I was looking forward to this week's Reel AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON. WINTER SOLDIER was well written, action-packed, funny...& made sense, so I was expecting more of the same from ULTRON. Even though the screenplay & director were different. This time around Joss Whedon was at the helm as writer & director.

 Joss Whedon has written and produced some of the episodes of AGENTS OF SHIELD, which I have for the most part enjoyed watching. So, I approached ULTRON with an open mind.
When I left the Theater, my mind was mostly just baffled. Where was the smart script? Where was the plot? Was their a plot? It was as if the Avengers...all of them, had regressed to their early teens & 20's. I was mystified as I listened to the conversations taking place on screen.  It was like walking through a mall on a Saturday & catching bits & pieces of conversations: Who has the hots for who, who's stronger than who, who's mad at who. Tony Stark wasn't smart snarky like in IRON MAN & WINTER SOLDIER, he was silly snarky. The Hulk wasn't broody & tortured, he was sulky & lovesick & Black Widow was distracted & thinking about babies.

I don't know where men got the sexist idea that women who go to see Marvel movies want to see romance. We don't! I go to Marvel movies to see  super heroes saving the World. I want to see the HULK throwing things around. I want to see IRON MAN being snarky, flying around in his iron suit, & making gadgets. I want to see Thor throwing Mjolnir around & ruling Asgard, in short, I want an intelligent story with fun & lots of action. If I want romance, I'll go to a Romantic movie (unlikely).


The bottom line is, the characters in this particular installment of the AVENGERS, seemed to be sleep walking. The idea of the character of ULTRON could have been really interesting. I was expecting him to be menacing, scary & angry. I wanted to be scared, not annoyed. He was whiny, petulant & one-dimensional. It was such a waste of James Spader's talent. 

The Maximoff twins (Elizabeth Olsen & Aaron Taylor-Johnson) were forgettable. The stars of AGE OF ULTRON were the the battle scenes & the HULK running amok scenes, which if they'd been accompanied by a more lucid plot, would have been a bit more satisfying.
As a Black girl & a geek I would be remiss if I didn't speak about one huge, glaring omission from the Marvel Comic movies: WHERE ARE THE BLACK WOMEN?? Even when THE AVENGERS were in Africa...in Africa, we were strangely absent! What? Is it that there is a belief that Black women aren't interested in Comics, Sci-Fi or Fantasy. We seem to be extinct in any kind of imagined futuristic World.

AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON was a disappointment for me, but I will close this chapter and try to look forward to CAPTAIN AMERICA: CIVIL WAR, when Anthony Russo & Joe Russo return with the original writers: Chris Markus & Stephen McFeely. May we return to Action & Intelligence... and I hope a World where Black women exist...& spend money.

No comments:

Post a Comment