Moments of escape can be moments of clarity!

"Oh, had I but followed the Arts"-William Shakespeare

Sunday, January 31, 2016

Wait,Let me write that down Before I forget....

My Reel of the Week is 2014's Blockbuster BEFORE I SLEEP..nah I'm just kidding. I don't think it was a Blockbuster, well really I hadn't heard anything about the movie, but I could've been out that day. Anyway I had a free weekend ....


Christine (Nicole Kidman) wakes everyday to a nightmare.  She has no idea who she is, where she is or anything about her life. The man who wakes beside her every morning is a stranger, not her devoted husband.
After a  brutal attack Christine was left with amnesia.  She spends each day trying to connect the pieces of her life and create some semblance of normalcy.

Christine slowly finds snippets of her life revealing themselves in flashes.  
But, she doesn't know if what she sees is real. Does she trust those memories or rely solely on who her husband (Colin Firth)  and her psychiatrist tell her she is?
Christine soon discovers that what she doesn't remember is more important and might very well kill her.

I am a big fan of mystery, suspense, and Colin Firth. BEFORE I SLEEP had two out of three. You stick with a film like this because you want to know how it's going to end.  How are they going to tie up the loose ends? Will I have an "Oh my God,I didn't see that coming" moment? BEFORE I SLEEP had flashes of suspense, and yes it did have Colin Firth, although he was underutilized and his character wasn't fully fleshed. Nicole Kidman well... she was Nicole Kidman. When watching her on screen there is always a sense of someone who is reigned in and tightly controlled. She is not an actor who acts with a "devil may care" attitude..Susan Lucci comes to mind..
BEFORE I SLEEP had two or three Wow moments, But I guessed where it was going about half way through. I won't say it was a waste of time, but once was definitely enough. It's a good movie for those times you're trapped, you know, a long bus or plane ride and it's the movie they're showing. What the hell, you're not going anywhere and you've got some time to kill...


No comments:

Post a Comment