Moments of escape can be moments of clarity!

"Oh, had I but followed the Arts"-William Shakespeare

Sunday, December 4, 2016

BITS & BOBS AND MUCH NEEDED DISTRACTIONS

I had planned on writing a special Blog post on the apocalypse to come, after the election of "he who shall not be named." But, I felt I needed a break from all the cluster-fuck-ed-ness going on. So in the interest of self-preservation, I just needed to step back. In the near future,  I will be writing a piece on  how I will be moving through these next 4 years (ugh) and trying to stay healthy and safe.  But, for now I have retreated to my favorite self-care distractions, Books and Music..also Movies, but that's for Reel of the Week.

I have been reading almost non-stop, which is nothing unusual. I have recently become a fan of John Sanford's character Lucas Davenport. His Prey novels are fast-paced mystery  thrillers and SECRET PREY didn't disappoint:


Lucas Davenport is still reeling from his breakup with his fiance Weather Karkinnian and losing his battle to stave off depression, when he is called in to help in the investigation of a  shooting near a hunting cabin.  At first glance , the local PD sees it as a tragic accident, but it doesn't take long for Lucas to find the inconsistencies , changing this from accident to murder.
The victim is the CEO of a bank that's smack in the middle of an important merger. As Lucas digs deeper, the playing field for suspects grows ever larger as the list of people jockeying for power gets longer.
Lucas quickly finds out that power and money are a lethal combination and a Killer with money holds all the cards and has time on his side.

I think the most that I expect from a book is to be transported, especially at this particular time.  Also to be entertained and if it's a really good mystery, to be surprised by the ending.  it's a tall order and maybe a lot to ask, but most times I at least get two out of three. SECRET PREY gave all three. I did have to slog through a boatload of suspects, but it worked. I wasn't able to guess the ending. So if you are a fan of Murder & Mayhem, the PREY series may fit the bill for you.

This is only the second PREY novel for me. There are 27, so I have a long way to go and I'm reading them out of order. Maybe I should have stated from the beginning?


Since the Holidays are upon us, I've decided to post some of my favorite Christmas songs.  I love the Hope in Christmas songs and how they yearn
 to invoke in us humanity & compassion. So...

"Ain't no Chimneys in the projects"- Sharon Jones & The dap Kings
"Merry Christmas, darling"- The Carpenters
"Every year, every Christmas- Luther Vandross
"O'Holy night"-Mahalia Jackson
"have yourself a merry little Christmas"- Leslie Odom, jr

These are just a few of my favorites. So as we finally and Mercifully bid adieu to 2016, Happy Holidays and remember to #StandWithStandingRock and that #BlackLivesMatter , to #Resist and  that  #HesNotMyPresident...


  

No comments:

Post a Comment